Saturday, July 25, 2009

American - British Translation Dictionary

So my neighbor, Shelley comes over quite frequently. She will say something to one of my children and they will look at her with a blank stare trying to figure out what she is talking about. She and I now sometimes argue which word is better. I thought I would share a few of those words. American:British

stroller : push chair
trash : bin, rubbish
diaper : nappy
pacifier : dummy
couch : sofa
bathroom : toilet, loo
pants : trousers
underwear : pants
purse : hand bag
wallet : purse
wallet: male purse
dump : tip (a place to take trash)
parking lot : car park
zucchini : courgettes
pickles : gherkin
soccer : football
camper trailer : caravan
trunk : boot
hood : bonnet
garage sale : boot sale
drug store : chemist
2 weeks : fortnight
vaccume : hoover
baked potato : jacket potato
7-up, Sprite : Lemonade
Dr office : surgery



Here is a few that they spell funny...
tire - tyre
color - colour

"Z" is pronounced zed



Now I just have to teach my children all these crazy words!

I got my post done for the week! Its progress. Where is yours, Debra!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. Those are hilarious! What an interesting experience you are having living in another country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! It will be great to have your kids come back to the states in a few years with little British accents and using all of these words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling that you all will just stand there and listen to them talk :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Katie,
    This was a funny post. Rich wants to know if you know what a Jellybone is?
    Miss you guys,
    Cristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jellybone is Cockney slang for phone

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first time I heard the word for cigarette, I spit out my drink. John's friend married a British woman while stationed here and once we were hanging out and he goes "well, I'm going to go outside and smoke a fag....". Good thing we don't smoke, I couldn't imagine going back to the states w/ the kids saying that LOLOL.

    Oh, I just found out the other day that cilantro is coriander. I just thought coriander was a seed.

    I can't wait to hear our kids playing together w/ their accents :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorites...Nappy and Fortnight. Brings back memories of spending time with our British friends in Antigua. I especially loved hearing the little kids speak so properly - and watching them eat too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god a beluga walrus bear just ate my baby seahorse

    ReplyDelete