So I am calling out to blogland because I need some wisdom. We are getting ready to move to England in March and unfortunately we have a lot of STUFF! You know all the stuff it takes to live and a lot of things that you just don't want to part with because you "Might" need it. Well, beyond that I need some help. I am trying to make my lists of what needs to go in our "Quick Shipment" and what should not go at all. Everything else will just go. So questions for the quick shipment are... How likely is it that I am going to have my house (not living in TLF) and not yet have my big shipment? Should I pack pots, pans, cleaning stuff, kids sleeping bags? I know that they do not lend us pillows or sheets so I will be shipping that in the quick shipment. What about the new baby stuff? Should I sent it in the quick shipment or do you think I will mostlikely get the big shipment in time from March to the end of May (I am due June 4th and usually go early)? I am hoping that talking to TMO will answer some of these questions but I feel like a real dummy when it comes to this. So for instance, I think that I need to send my toaster oven (I don't even know what small appliances to send because of the electricity conversion, anyway) in the quick shipment but that means that I will not have it here for how long trying to make things before I get there and "might" need it again. I know this really sounds like selfish dumb thoughts because I think that I need this stuff and that the military should just ship is ASAP because I cannot live without it. I really just don't know what to expect and trying to get me (and Mike) and my two children over with what we will need to live for a month or so in a suitcase or maybe a few just overwhelms me. I know that some of you have done it and I just need to pick your brain if you will allow. Off to try to sleep! Thanks for loving me!
You can call me if you still haven't answered this question...I can definitely help. You basically need to picture everything you use on a daily basis, and it also depends on how long they say you will be waiting for housing, they're usually pretty accurate. Definitely take a variety of clothes for different seasons for the kiddos. It is not dumb questions...it's overwhelming, but you will figure it all out, my friend.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I didn't know you were pregnant!! Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you that you get to live in England...wow I would love to live in England. I hope you are able to get all the answers you need.
ReplyDeleteI wish I could help. I could put the stuff in boxes for you. :)
ReplyDeletecould I go... I'm gonna miss you.
ps. I LOVE the pic of Sarah and Cory!
no wisdom, just prayers and well-wishes!
ReplyDeleteOn appliances (and electronics): Look for a label on the appliance, underneath or near where the power cord attaches. It should have the electrical input that the appliance will accept. The US standard is 120 volts, the UK/European standard is 220 V (but you probably already knew that).
ReplyDeleteIf the label just says "120 V" or "120 VAC", then it won't work in the UK. Plugging it in will fry the device since you are putting almost twice the voltage into it that it is designed to handle.
If it says something like "120-220 V" or "100-240 V" then it will work fine, you will just need a plug adapter to go from the US to UK. These are easy to find at RadioShack and other places.
Most new electronics can handle the voltage change automatically, so computers, DVD players, etc. are likely to work. I looked at our toaster and coffee maker, and they are just 120V.
Speaking of DVDs, remember that disks and players are region encoded (a brilliant scheme invented by movie companies to ensure the make as much money as possible). DVDs sold in Europe won't play in DVD players sold in the US, and vice-versa. There are ways to defeat this, but if you don't want the hassle you just need to make sure any movies you rent or buy over there are US-encoded (or by a UK DVD player :-).
ReplyDeleteI know how Sarah loves her Cars (or used to anyway).
From what I've heard you'll wanna take stuff like pots, pans, bathroom stuff, lamps maybe, and of course baby stuff. Sheets can wait because if all else fails, you can buy more. I'd be more worried about baby stuff getting there ASAP - better safe then sorry. Other girls I know have asked the same thing and thats what they were told. Things like pictures and all that can obviously wait because you don't NEED them. Do you guys have a toaster oven and a toaster? Cause if you do then you could just send on Quick. Honestly, I'd send stuff like that Quick also because you could always borrow someone elses [lol] if you really needed it. I've never moved overseas, but moving up here was enough for me! I hope it all goes as smoothly as the military will allow.
ReplyDeleteSince you're already so busy lol. I tagged you :)
ReplyDeletehttp://marinewife08.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-had-to.html